Cable shadows

Request a new feature/change in the panel here. Or request a practice file, etc.
John Pettett

Cable shadows

Post by John Pettett »

Hi Joel,
In one video you talked about your method for adding shadows when cables cross each other. I've been scanning all your videos but I cannot find that discussion. Are you able to point me in the right direction please? Many thanks.
Regards,
John
Joel
Owner/Admin

Re: Cable shadows

Post by Joel »

John Pettett wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:34 am Hi Joel,
In one video you talked about your method for adding shadows when cables cross each other. I've been scanning all your videos but I cannot find that discussion. Are you able to point me in the right direction please? Many thanks.
Regards,
John
John,

I've done many webinars and online workshops last year that I don't know anymore if I explained it in one of the free webinars. If I did, then it was most likely in the 2nd webinar for advanced users (I'm not sure since I never like to watch the videos I'm in :) but I believe I discussed it briefly). But, you can't do it with the shadow preset, that's meant for adding 'normal' shadows. When cables cross each other then what you need to do is to stand on the layer that represents the cable lighting effect on the cable below the cable that's crossing it. Then use the erase feature from PS, and erase the lighting effect where it crosses the other cable by following the direction of the cable above it. I hope this description makes some sense but it creates a very natural effect that's much better than just adding shadows to it. Perhaps I should make a short video explaining this correction. Important is also to arrange and organize the transparent layers with the special fx in such a way that they're grouped together per cable and that cables crossing another cable above/below are also layers that follow its location logically. When working with dozens of cables it makes it so much easier.
Joel Tjintjelaar - admin/owner
https://www.bwvision.com/
John Pettett

Post by John Pettett »

Thanks Joel,
I found the spot It is in the second webinar (Advanced) as you thought. It's where you talked about the special effects tool (at the 2-21-50 mark). As I think about this I'm wondering if there's something we could all help with. As we encounter a critical explanation, just note the times and video location. For example SPECIAL EFFECTS TOOL, intricate depth, overlapping cables. Webinar 2 (advanced) June 22 2020. 2-21-50 to 2-36-29. Or DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NORMAL AND SELECTIVE ADJUSTMENTS in PRO TOOLS, gray scale grid, amplify v add & amplify. Webinar 2 (advanced) June 22 2020. 0-51-09 to 0-53-40.
Bit by bit we could build a useful reference which could save hours of sifting through all the videos. By the way, the reason I didn't find what I was looking for, is that I was checking the videos in the new Dropbox folder. The version of Webinar 2 in that folder stops after one hour.
Anyway, thanks again for all that you do and for this specific help.
Regards,
John
Joel
Owner/Admin

Post by Joel »

John,

I think that's a great idea. I just hope everyone will try to contribute to that because people keep asking me all the time where to find a specific thing and most of the times I just don't know anymore, as stated because I've done so many webinars/online sessions and very rarely shorter than 2.5 hrs. In any case, I'm still considering doing a short video on the SFX and perhaps a few other similar videos.
I'm going to check the videos in the Dropbox folder, there's always something going wrong with Dropbox, but all webinars are also available on Youtube. And for those who didn't know: you can set the video quality on Youtube to HD (1080 and even 1440) so everything is clearly visible. It depends on your default settings if you can't see it clearly.
Joel Tjintjelaar - admin/owner
https://www.bwvision.com/