Liverpool Jpeg file

A forum where users can post their photos to be edited/discussed by other users; JPG and description only
bobbyl

Re: Liverpool Jpeg file

Post by bobbyl »

Hi John
Have you by any chance used local contrast decrease/increase in the Advanced adjustments. I think joel did cover it in his tutorial but i cant seem to find it.
Not sure when to use it (if necessary) or the purpose of it.
Just asking
Not sure if joel reads the forum.
Bobby
John Pettett

Post by John Pettett »

Hi Bobby,
I've been thinking about the Liverpool image. At present, I'm having a lot of difficulty with the image as it is. Even so, I can see hidden beauty in this building but it will require a lot of work to bring it out. At least with the current image. So I thought I'd share my thoughts now and see what you think.
Firstly, I'm thinking this building needs more room to 'breathe'. Whatever surrounds it can be diminished/darkened but I feel we'd get a better result if we had the whole building with space around it. Have a look at Joel's Erasmus Bridge image for a good example of how he isolated his chosen subject.
The 'beauty' I'm speaking of is in the patterns in the building's facade. And it may be that we'd get a better result with a high key treatment of the building with an accent on the patterns. Even the staircase would make an intriguing counterpoint if that was highlighted in the way that Joel does bridge cables for instance. I'd also consider doing the ground level apron in the same way that he did the water in Erasmus Bridge. We'd also need to consider the sky which, in fact, would probably be part of the overall 'ground'. I'm using the figure/ground terminology here which Joel has explained a few times.
Finally, there are a bunch of other things which detract from the current image. The big dark floor plan board at the bottom of the stairs, another one at the top of the stairs and other miscellaneous, distracting objects are all 'spoilers'. They could, of course, be photo-shopped but that will take time.
So I was wondering, Bobby, if you have other images of this place. Or, alternatively, is it just down the road and something you can shoot again? I'm envisaging a shot from the apron level but much further back and a little more to the right so that we'd get the whole staircase in and make it easier to remove the floor plan board.
I've googled 'Liverpool Exhibition Centre' but nothing exciting has come up. Usually, you'd expect to find lots of images of a landmark building. I did find the attached image which suggests some other dramatic possibilities.
csm_accliverpool_211b8f241b.jpg
I can see too that there's a body of water there which might make a long exposure image a possibility. It all looks interesting to me and those patterns might be the key feature to bring out somehow.
I don't mean to be critical of your image Bobby but I don't feel I can do justice to it. I'm sure that there are other creative approaches but it's just that I can't come up with one that would justify the work involved.
In the meantime, the San Francisco image looks 'easier' if you'd like to work on that instead. It's your call of course but I'm happy to keep sharing experiences and learning.
Regards,
John
bobbyl

Post by bobbyl »

Hi John
Thanks for your reply and your insight. The photograph you posted is the same building but i took it from the back of the building if i remember rightly.
https://www.google.com/search?q=m%26s+c ... CY8oIqNWZM

I took this last year before i became interested in joel's techniques. It is a very tight photograph and as you say it needs room to "breathe". I will apply that next time with other buildings. I may also make a trip back to Liverpool once we open up fully here.
Like you i'm finding it difficult to process it . My intention here is more to learn the panel and see what i can come up with. I'm not really bothered at this stage to come up with an artistic photo but to learn the craft.
Regarding the patterns i did ask for a quote but it was way beyond my budget so i thought i would learn to do that myself. So this picture is really a start for me but i do take on board your suggestions especially room to breathe and i might revisit some of joel's videos again.
So lets please keep on talking ( since we are the only two here) and let me progress a bit more with the panel and then move on to SF shot.
Stay safe
Regards
Bobby